Welcome back to my journey to being 1st on Google. This is the 86th update for my attempt to rank first for my name, Alan Reeves. If you missed any of the posts, you can find the first one here, 85th Week update here (last week), and the ones in between on my Project page. Below are the results as of Sunday, 9-15-13 (click here to do your own search for Alan Reeves on Google):
- #11 - My Vizify profile - (down 1- places from last week at #1)
- #15 - My About page on BlueCapra (down 13 places from last week at #2)
- #16 - My Twitter handle, @AlanReeves (down 11 places from last week at #5)
- #19 – My Vimeo profile (down 6 places from last week at #13)
- #20 – My Blogger website (down 3 places from last week at #17)
This week I’m down to #11. Overall, my top 5 results decreased 34 places with 5 of the top 5 results occurring in the first 25 places (all on the 2nd page). As a whole, I showed up 17 times in the top 100 search results which, I think, could be a new record.
A check at Google Images showed my picture at #4 and a total of 11 occurrences in the top 100 images.
Cornering the market – from Google to Bing
In addition to searching Google, I have been checking Bing results for my name, Alan Reeves (click here to do your own Bing search for Alan Reeves). Here are the top 5 Bing results:
- #5 - My LinkedIn profile with picture (no change from last week at #5)
- #13 - My YouTube profile (down 1 place from last week at #12)
- #15 - My profile on 48Days.NET (down 1 place from last week at #14)
- #18 - Alan Reeves on About.Me (down 1 place from last week at #17)
- #21 - My BrandYourself profile (no change from last week at #21)
This week I’m at #5 on Bing. Overall, my top 5 results decreased 3 places with 5 of the top 5 results occurring in the first 25 places. As a whole, I showed up 13 times in the top 100 search results.
A check at Bing Images showed my picture at #6 and a total of 6 occurrences in the top 100 images.
Strategies for 1st
This week ends the streak at #1 for my Vizify profile. This is not completely unexpected; depending on when you run searches, you will get at times, vastly different results. For example, I could run the same search that has been run for 85 weeks and run it again in 15 minutes to see my 1st place rankings drop to the 2nd page. That is not hypothetical, I’ve seen it happen. Google results are very strange at times.
Besides that, this has been another slow week. I did see a few interesting SEO videos by SourceWave. Not sure if I agree with everything he advocates, but Alex Becker seems to know his stuff.
Summary – The search for Alan Reeves
I’ve been able to make good progress since the start, going from #91 on 1-25-12 to #1 on 7-14-13 and to #11 today. I have learned a lot about improving search ranking and I have made a lot of mistakes, but it’s a learning process. Stay tuned to see if I can hold on to the 1st spot on Google and and reach 1st on Bing.
If you only had time to do 1 thing to help your site or name rank better in Google, what would it be? Leave me a comment and let me know.