Welcome back to my journey to being 1st on Google. This is the 55th update for my attempt to rank first for my name, Alan Reeves. If you missed the any of the posts, you can find the first one here, 54th Week update here (last week), and the ones in between on my Project page. Below are the results as of Sunday, 2-10-13 (click here to do your own search for Alan Reeves on Google):
- #7 - The tag page for Alan Reeves on BlueCapra.com, with picture (up 1 place from last week at #9) – A NEW RECORD!!!
- #14 – My videos on Vimeo (down 1 place from last week at #14)
- #49 – @BookWormLaser on Twitter (down 20 places from last week at #29)
- #53 – Book Worm Laser & Design on Pinterest (down 14 places from last week at #39)
- #54 - My Twitter handle, @AlanReeves (down 2 places from last week at #52)
A check at Google Images showed my picture at #5 and a total of 6 occurrences in the top 100 images.
Cornering the market – from Google to Bing
In addition to searching Google, I have been checking Bing results for my name, Alan Reeves (click here to do your own Bing search for Alan Reeves). Here are the top 5 Bing results:
- #2 - My LinkedIn profile (no change from last week at #2)
- #11 – My Facebook profile (up 3 places from last week at #12)
- #16 – My Twitter handle, @AlanReeves (up 1 place from last week at #17)
- #32 - Alan Reeves on BrandYourself (down 3 places from last week at #28)
- #33 - Book Worm Laser & Design on Google+ - soon to be deleted (down 4 places from last week at #29)
This week I’m at #2 on Bing. Overall, my top 5 results decreased 3 places with 3 of the top 5 results occurring in the first 25 places. As a whole, I showed up 8 times in the top 100 search results.
A check at Bing Images showed my picture at #5 and a total of 4 occurrences in the top 100 images.
Strategies for 1st
This week I was able to make a little progress toward the search. My focus was toward my linked pages on Bing and different Twitter profile sites, as discussed in Chapter 8 of the Advanced Guide to SEO by Neil Patel.
First off, my Bing linked pages went from 77 up to 132. These links show up on Facebook (if you have linked your account) but otherwise, I’m not sure what they are good for. The huge increase was due to expanding the search terms in a few different ways. Before, I was only looking for my name. Now, I am including other keywords, such as bluecapra, book worm laser & design, laser, etc. Using these different search terms, many, many more pages showed up.
My second focus was on the numerous twitter profile listed in The Advanced Guide to SEO. Of those listed as examples, the only ones that I could create profiles on were the following:
I already had existing profiles on two of the sites, Twellow and Klout.
This week I hope to explore more of the SEO guide. There is a ton of great ideas. Some I don’t agree with but Neil Patel has spend a lot of time on SEO, websites, etc so he knows what he’s talking about.
Summary – The search for Alan Reeves
I’ve been able to make good progress since the start, going from #91 on 1-25-12 to #2 on 2-26-12 and to #7 today. I have learned a lot about improving search ranking and I have made a lot of mistakes, but it’s a learning process. Stay tuned to see if next week is the week I reach the 1st spot on Google and Bing.
If you only had time to do 1 thing to help your site or name rank better in Google, what would it be? Leave me a comment and let me know.