Welcome back to my journey to being 1st on Google. This is the 54th update for my attempt to rank first for my name, Alan Reeves. If you missed the any of the posts, you can find the first one here, 53rd Week update here (last week), and the ones in between on my Project page. Below are the results as of Sunday, 2-3-13 (click here to do your own search for Alan Reeves on Google):
- #9 – The About page on BlueCapra.com, with no picture??? (up 1 place from last week at #10)
- #14 – My videos on Vimeo (down 1 place from last week at #13)
- #29 – Alan Reeves on BrandYourself (down 3 places from last week at #26)
- #39 – The tag page for Alan Reeves on BlueCapra (down 3 places from last week at #36)
- #52 – My Twitter handle, @AlanReeves (down 5 places from last week at #47)
A check at Google Images showed my picture at #6 and a total of 7 occurrences in the top 100 images.
Cornering the market – from Google to Bing
In addition to searching Google, I have been checking Bing results for my name, Alan Reeves (click here to do your own Bing search for Alan Reeves). Here are the top 5 Bing results:
- #2 – My LinkedIn profile (no change from last week at #2)
- #12 – My Facebook profile (up 3 places from last week at #15)
- #17 – My Twitter handle, @AlanReeves (up 11 places from last week at #28)
- #28 – Book Worm Laser & Design on Google+ – soon to be deleted (up 2 places from last week at #30)
- #29 – My Quora profile (up 4 places from last week at #33)
This week I’m at #2 on Bing. Overall, my top 5 results increased 20 places with 3 of the top 5 results occurring in the first 25 places. As a whole, I showed up 8 times in the top 100 search results.
A check at Bing Images showed my picture at #5 and a total of 5 occurrences in the top 100 images.
Strategies for 1st
This week I was able to tag a few more pages in Bing (up to 77 now). A few posts were published, a new episode of Can You Etch It, my laser engraving series, was unveiled to the world, but not much else. I did see a post by Neil Patel over at QuickSprout that introduces his Advanced Guide to SEO. I haven’t had a chance to look at it yet, but knowing the quality of his writing and the fact that this guide is about 45,000 words, I’ll have a bunch of reading to do this week. I hope to find some great techniques that I can share and will help the cause.
Summary – The search for Alan Reeves
I’ve been able to make good progress since the start, going from #91 on 1-25-12 to #2 on 2-26-12 and to #9 today. I have learned a lot about improving search ranking and I have made a lot of mistakes, but it’s a learning process. Stay tuned to see if next week is the week I reach the 1st spot on Google and Bing.
If you only had time to do 1 thing to help your site or name rank better in Google, what would it be? Leave me a comment and let me know.