Welcome back to my journey to being 1st on Google. This is the 25th update for my attempt to rank first for my name, Alan Reeves. If you missed the any of the posts, you can find the first one here, 24th Week update here (last week), and the ones in between on my Project page. Below are the results as of Sunday, 7-15-12 (click here to do your own search for Alan Reeves on Google):
- #3 – My LinkedIn profile (no change from last week at #3)
- #28 – The About page on BlueCapra.com, with picture (up 4 places from last week at #32)
- #39 – This website, BlueCapra.com, with picture (down 3 places from last week at #36)
- #40 – My profile on Vimeo – check out my video series Can You Etch It (up 2 places from last week at #42)
- #43 – @bookwormlaser on Twitter (up 1 place from last week at #44)
A check at Google Images showed my picture at #9 and a total of 5 occurrences in the top 100 images.
Cornering the market – from Google to Bing
In addition to searching Google, I have been checking Bing results for my name, Alan Reeves (click here to do your own Bing search for Alan Reeves). Here are the top 5 Bing results:
- #2 – My LinkedIn profile (no change from last week at #2)
- #16 – The About page on BlueCapra.com (no change from last week at #17)
- #18 – My profile on Quora (up 2 places from last week at #19)
- #69 – My Quora feed with my recent activity (up 3 places from last week at #72)
- #79 – This website, BlueCapra.com, with picture (up 16 places from last week at #95)
Overall, I showed up 5 times in the top 100 search results on Bing. My first occurrence was at #2 (compared with Google at #3) and overall, my results increased 21 places.
I did manage to show up at #4 for images on Bing, and overall, had 4 in the top 100 images.
Strategies for 1st
This week I tried to focus on commenting on other blogs. I am trying to concentrate on those that match the focus on my websites. The problem is, I’m not sure what the focus on my website is, besides a personal site. I did answer a few more questions on Quora, comment on one blog, and added a few more photos to Pinterest of some QR bar codes that I have designed.
As of today, I have 10 pages through Bing’s Linked Pages in the first 500. I normally try to check every 3-4 days and stop after 25 or so pages. Every so often, I find another.
I have also been looking into the links back to this site and my business site, Book Worm Laser & Design, using Google Analytics. Using the data that Google tracks, I can see where I am being linked from, the anchor text, etc. Next week, I’ll do a rundown of the numbers I am looking at, how I am using those numbers to make progress, and what other steps I have found that may help.
Summary – The search for Alan Reeves
I’ve been able to make a good amount of progress so far, going from #91 on 1-25-12 to #3 on 3-11-12 and to #3 today. I have learned a lot about improving search ranking and I have made a lot of mistakes, but this is a learning process. I hope to make significant progress by next week and regain my past progress. Stay tuned to see if next week is the week I reach the 1st spot on Google and Bing. If you have any suggestions to get me there, leave a comment and let me know.