Welcome back to my journey to being 1st on Google. This is the 21st update. If you missed the any of the posts, you can find the first one here, 20th Week update here (last week), and the ones in between on my Project page. Below are the results as of Sunday, 6-17-12 (click here to do your own search):
- #3 – My LinkedIn profile (up 1 place from last week at #4)
- #11 – The About page on BlueCapra.com, with picture (up 2 places from last week at #13)
- #31 – My BrandYourself.com profile (up 2 places from last week at #33)
- #34 – @bookwormlaser on Twitter (no change from last week at #34)
- #44 – My profile on Vimeo – check out my video series Can You Etch It (down 2 place from last week at #42)
A check at Google Images showed my picture at #3 and a total of 6 occurrences in the top 100 images, up from last week at #6 but way down from 14 occurrences.
Cornering the market – from Google to Bing
Last week, I started to check Bing in addition to Google due to the percentage of the US searches being performed on Google, Bing, and Yahoo (which is powered by Bing technology). Here are the top 5 Bing results:
- #2 – My LinkedIn profile (no change from last week at #2)
- #13 – @alanreeves on Twitter (up 4 places from last week at #17)
- #20 – My profile on Quora (down 1 place from last week at #19)
- #21 – The About page on BlueCapra.com (up 7 places from last week at #28)
- #42 – @bookwormlaser on Twitter (down 10 places from last week at #32)
Overall, I showed up 6 times in the top 100 search results on Bing. My first occurrence was at #2 (compared with Google at #5) and overall, my results did not increase or decrease.
I did manage to rank 2nd for images on Bing, and overall, had 3 in the top 100 images.
Strategies for 1st
This week was another slim week with not much time being devoted to the journey. From the results, it looks like the Brand Yourself account is doing quite well, showing up at #31, the 3rd occurrence. I did find another link that pointed my way through Bing’s Linked Pages, but it does not seem to have had much of an effect.
Summary – The search for Alan Reeves
I’ve been able to make a good amount of progress so far, going from #91 on 1-25-12 to #3 on 3-11-12 and back to #3 today. I have learned a lot about improving search ranking and I have made a lot of mistakes, but this is a learning process. I hope to make significant progress by next week and regain my past progress. Stay tuned to see if next week is the week I reach the 1st spot on Google and Bing. If you have any suggestions to get me there, leave a comment and let me know.