Welcome back to my journey to being 1st on Google. This is the 41st update for my attempt to rank first for my name, Alan Reeves. If you missed the any of the posts, you can find the first one here, 40th Week update here (last week), and the ones in between on my Project page. Below are the results as of Sunday, 11-4-12 (click here to do your own search for Alan Reeves on Google):
- #4 – My LinkedIn profile (down 1 place from last week at #3)
- #19 – My profile at Brand Yourself (down 3 places from last week at #16)
- #27 – The About page on BlueCapra.com, with picture (down 6 place from last week at #21)
- #29 – My profile on Vimeo – check out my video series Can You Etch It (down 1 place from last week at #28)
- #30 – Book Worm Laser & Design videos on Daily Motion (up 1 place from last week at #31)
A check at Google Images showed my picture at #8 and a total of 8 occurrences in the top 100 images.
Cornering the market – from Google to Bing
In addition to searching Google, I have been checking Bing results for my name, Alan Reeves (click here to do your own Bing search for Alan Reeves). Here are the top 4 Bing results:
- #4 – My LinkedIn profile (up 1 place from last week at #5)
- #21 – My profile on Quora (down 3 places from last week at #18)
- #30 – Latest Activity on Quora (down 7 places from last week at #23)
- #31 – Google+ profile for Book Worm Laser & Design (down 7 places from last week at #24)
Overall, I showed up 4 times in the top 100 search results on Bing. My first occurrence was at #4 (compared with Google at #4).
I did manage to show up at #3 for images on Bing, and overall, had 3 in the top 100 images.
Strategies for 1st
This week has been another down week for results. A few weeks ago, I had commented on about 17 posts, hoping that would help. I still have not seen any benefit from them but in the long run, they should start helping.
One new idea I found out about this past week is a site called knowem.com. I heard about this site from the Lifestyle Business Podcast episode 126. It is a site that checks if a particular user name is available on a bunch of sites. If you are like most people, there are only a few sites you use regularly like Facebook, Twitter, StumbleUpon, etc. There are hundreds more.
No one can track all of the social media sites out there, but securing your user name or the name of your business can be a great benefit. Not only does that keep other people from using that user name in ways you don’t want (spam, hate mail, etc) but it provides the possibility of a bunch of extra backlinks. For a fee, knowem.com will sign up up for a bunch of the sites or, if you prefer, you can sign up manually which is what I plan on doing. I’ll have a report and review of the site after I go through the process.
Summary – The search for Alan Reeves
I’ve been able to make a good amount of progress these past many weeks, going from #91 on 1-25-12 to #3 on 3-11-12 and to #4 today. I have learned a lot about improving search ranking and I have made a lot of mistakes, but this is a learning process. I hope to make significant progress by next week and regain my past progress. Stay tuned to see if next week is the week I reach the 1st spot on Google and Bing. If you have any suggestions to get me there, leave a comment and let me know.