Welcome back to my journey to being 1st on Google. This is the 27th update for my attempt to rank first for my name, Alan Reeves. If you missed the any of the posts, you can find the first one here, 26th Week update here (last week), and the ones in between on my Project page. Below are the results as of Sunday, 7-29-12 (click here to do your own search for Alan Reeves on Google):
- #3 – My LinkedIn profile (no change from last week at #3)
- #28 – The About page on BlueCapra.com, with picture (up 4 placess from last week at #32)
- #34 – This website, BlueCapra.com, with picture (down 2 places from last week at #33)
- #41 – @bookwormlaser on Twitter (down 1 place from last week at #40)
- #43 – My profile on Vimeo – check out my video series Can You Etch It (up 1 place from last week at #44)
A check at Google Images showed my picture at #3 and a total of 6 occurrences in the top 100 images.
Cornering the market – from Google to Bing
In addition to searching Google, I have been checking Bing results for my name, Alan Reeves (click here to do your own Bing search for Alan Reeves). Here are the top 5 Bing results:
- #2 – My LinkedIn profile (no change from last week at #2)
- #18 – My profile on Quora (down 3 places from last week at #15)
- #20 – @AlanReeves on Twitter (up 3 places from last week at #23)
- #29 – The About page on BlueCapra.com (up 2 places from last week at #31)
- #74 – My answers page on Quora (down 41 place from last week at #33)
Overall, I showed up 5 times in the top 100 search results on Bing. My first occurrence was at #2 (compared with Google at #3) and overall, my results decreased 39 places.
I did manage to show up at #3 for images on Bing, and overall, had 3 in the top 100 images.
Strategies for 1st
This week I found a few more linked pages on Bing bringing up my total to 26. As of yet, it does not seem to make any difference in the search results. Of course, it is hard to tell, but with the drop in results this week, it can’t be doing much good. I just hope, in the long run, all these little links reach a tipping point and my results will shoot up.
At this point, I am at around #30 on both search engines for this website. I’m pleased, but not satisfied. Last week I whittled my RSS feeds down a bit and went through over 250 posts that I have been needing to clear out. Most were good, just not around the focus of this site. But… what is the focus of this site?
That question has been on my mind for weeks… dare I say months. It is hard to nail down a focus. I know that when I do, things will get easier in many ways but alas, I just can’t seem to settle on something that I am happy with. For now, I will continue to comment on other sites when the post and site seem relevant while I stumble around in this dark forest, looking for a clue… er… uh… focus.
Summary – The search for Alan Reeves
I’ve been able to make a good amount of progress these past many weeks, going from #91 on 1-25-12 to #3 on 3-11-12 and to #3 today. I have learned a lot about improving search ranking and I have made a lot of mistakes, but this is a learning process. I hope to make significant progress by next week and regain my past progress. Stay tuned to see if next week is the week I reach the 1st spot on Google and Bing. If you have any suggestions to get me there, leave a comment and let me know.