Welcome back to my journey to being 1st on Google. This is the 48th update for my attempt to rank first for my name, Alan Reeves. If you missed the any of the posts, you can find the first one here, 47th Week update here (last week), and the ones in between on my Project page. Below are the results as of Sunday, 12-23-12 (click here to do your own search for Alan Reeves on Google):
- #10 – The About page on BlueCapra.com, with picture (no change from last week at #10)
- #15 – My profile at Brand Yourself (up 3 places from last week at #18)
- #33 – My LinkedIn profile (up 1 place from last week at #34)
- #41 – The tag page for Alan Reeves on BlueCapra (down 2 places from last week at #39)
- #44 – My Twitter handle, @AlanReeves (up 1 place from last week at #45)
A check at Google Images showed my picture at #14 and a total of 8 occurrences in the top 100 images.
Cornering the market – from Google to Bing
In addition to searching Google, I have been checking Bing results for my name, Alan Reeves (click here to do your own Bing search for Alan Reeves). Here are the top 5 Bing results:
- #3 – My LinkedIn profile (down 1 place from last week at #2)
- #15 – My Twitter handle, @AlanReeves (no change from last week at #15)
- #20 – My profile on Quora (up 4 places from last week at #24)
- #22 – My profile on Quora (up 15 places from last week at #37)
- #23 – The Google+ profile for Book Worm Laser & Design (up 19 places from last week at #42)
This week I’m at #3 on Bing. Overall, my top 5 results increased 37 place with 5 of the top 5 results occurring in the first 25 places, a new record!!! As a whole, I showed up 8 times in the top 100 search results.
I did manage to show up at #4 for images on Bing, and overall, had 3 in the top 100 images.
Strategies for 1st
This week I was able to comment on 8 posts, one of which showed up as a page I could tag through Bing (currently up to 64 tagged pages). It seems that the work tagging pages and such has started to pay off a little with 5 of my top 5 Bing results being at #23 or under.
I’m also happy at the #10 ranking on Google for this site. Breaking the front page is a huge success. According to this article on SEOMOZ.org, the all click-through rates for the #10 spot for Google is 1% and for #3 on Bing, 2.7%. So, let’s do a little guestimation:
If we estimate that the total global search volume is for Alan Reeves is about 1300 (per the Google Adword tool) and according to the article I just mentioned, the total click-through rate for a #10 rank on Google and a #3 rank on Bing is about 3.7%. Combining the 1300 searches and the 3.7% click-through rate gives us about 480 visitors. I’m not getting that many visitors total to this site in a month; so much for guestimates…
Summary – The search for Alan Reeves
I’ve been able to make a good amount of progress these past many weeks, going from #91 on 1-25-12 to #3 on 3-11-12 and to #10 today. I have learned a lot about improving search ranking and I have made a lot of mistakes, but this is a learning process. I hope to make significant progress by next week and regain my past progress. Stay tuned to see if next week is the week I reach the 1st spot on Google and Bing.
If you only had time to do 1 thing to help your site or name rank better in Google, what would it be? Leave me a comment and let me know.